My name is Susannah Cecil, and I’m a Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor Supervisor, owner & Clinical Director of Affinity Counseling and Wellness, PLLC. We offer individual, group, couples and family counseling, and serve a wide variety of people from diverse backgrounds.
My clinical experience includes varying ages (children, adolescent/family, adults), and group work. I have a great deal of experience with evidence-based treatments for mood disorders, anxiety/OCD, binge eating disorder, grief & loss. In addition, I developed Integrative Restorative Yoga, a group therapy model for chronic stress, anxiety/depression, emotion dysregulation, and body image concerns.
My approach is cognitive-behavioral in nature, using dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), acceptance and commitment therapy (ACT), trauma work with EMDR, and mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR). For clients with a stated preference, I offer faith-based counseling using these same treatment approaches from a Christian perspective.
Professional Development / Certifications
- American Counseling Association, Professional Member
- Licensed Clinical Mental Health Counselor Supervisor: NCBLCMHC #S2047
- National Certified Counselor: NBCC #27964.
- Experienced Registered Yoga Teacher (E-RYT): Yoga Alliance #155366.
- Group Exercise Instructor, Pilates Instructor, Silver Sneakers MSROM, Silver Sneakers Yoga Stretch I, II; Livestrong Cancer Survivorship Exercise Trainer.
- Wake Forest University, BS, Health & Exercise Science; Minor, Religion, May 1990, Cum Laude.
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro, MEd, Community Counseling, May 1992.
- EMDR Certificate Course: Assessment, Resourcing and Treatment Techniques for Trauma and Anxiety
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy: April 2016; March 2017; March 2018.
- Yoga & Mindfulness Therapy: Mind-Brain Change for Anxiety, Moods, Trauma, and Substance Abuse: September 2015.
- 200 Hour Yoga Teacher Training: Sunrise Yoga, Registered Yoga School, January-November 2014.
- Writing with Pat: 5-Day Intensive Writing workshop with world renowned Founder of Amherst Writers & Artists (Pat Schneider), June 2011.
- Yoga & Mindfulness: Clinical Interventions for Anxiety & Depression: January 2011.
- Healthy Aging: May 2009.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy with Persons of Faith: October 2008.